MIRS Biographical Profiles
- View Printable Version
Whitmer, Gretchen (D)State Senator District 23
Sen. Whitmer served one full term as a House Representative and a partial term as she left to take a seat in the Senate vacated by former Senator Virg Bernero. She is currently serving her second full term in the Senate. She has served on the East Lansing Transportation Committee, Ingham County Democratic Party Executive Board, prior to being elected to MI House of Representatives in 2000 and Senate Democratic Leader.
Sen. Whitmer was a practicing Attorney.
Sen. Whitmer holds a BA from Michigan State University and a JD from MSU Law School.
Sen. Whitmer was born on August 23, 1971 and lives with her husband Dr. Marc Mallory and their children.
Sen. Whitmer participates in the following activities: Legal Aid of Central Michigan, East Lansing Folk Festival, Junior League of Lansing, State Bar of MI, Ingham County Bar Assn.
LEAD STAFF PERSON:Nancy Bohnet
(Status: 02/26/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE ORDER OF SECOND READING)
- EDUCATION, Financing, Expand school district\'s permissible use of sinking funds to include school buses, technology, and security
(Status: 04/10/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON EDUCATION)
- LABOR, Fair Employment Practices, Establish commission on pay equity and specify duties
(Status: 04/10/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS)
- FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS, Savings Banks, A savings bank account shall not charge an account holder more than 1 overdraft fee in any 24-hour period. A savings bank shall publish on an Internet website available to the public the amount of its overdraft fees and the criteria it uses to determine the amount of its overdraft fees. If a savings bank receives more than 1 item to charge an account of a customer on the same banking day, the savings bank shall charge the smallest item to the account first and charge each additional item to the account in order by amount, from smallest to largest.
(Status: 05/21/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO BANKING AND FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS )
- FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS, Banks, A bank shall not charge an account holder more than 1 overdraft fee in any 24-hour period. A bank shall publish on an Internet website available to the public the amount of its overdraft fees and the criteria it uses to determine the amount of its overdraft fees. If a bank receives more than 1 item to charge to an account of a customer on the same banking day, the bank shall charge the smallest item to the account first and charge each additional item to the account in order by amount, from smallest to largest
(Status: 05/21/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON BANKING AND FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS )
- FAMILY LAW, Marriage and Divorce, Remove prohibition on same-sex marriage
(Status: 06/04/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS)
- INSURANCE, Health Benefits; , Repeal abortion coverage public act based on initiative petition.
(Status: 07/16/2014 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON INSURANCE)
- CONSUMER PROTECTION, Unfair Trade Practices, Clarify liability for inaccurate representations concerning risks of certain drugs, medications, and supplements.
(Status: 08/13/2014 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON REGULATORY REFORM)
- TRADE, Consumer Goods and Services, Prohibit manufacturing and acceptance for sale of personal care products containing plastic microbeads.
(Status: 09/09/2014 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS)
- LABOR, Fair Employment Practices, Create reproductive health coverage information act.
(Status: 09/10/2014 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON REFORMS, RESTRUCTURING & REINVENTING)
- Joint Resolution, Constitutional amendments revise permissible uses of state school aid fund.
(Status: 05/01/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON EDUCATION)
- Money Smart Week - April 20 - 27., Recognize the week of April 20 - 27, 2013 as Money Smart Week in the state of Michigan.
(Status: 04/17/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON NATURAL RESOURCES, ENVIRONMENT & GREAT LAKES)
- Resolutions, A resolution to proclaim May 19-25, 2013 as Emergency Medical Services Week in the state of Michigan
- Senate Resolution, A resolution to recognize March 31, 2014, as Cesar E. Chavez Day in the state of Michigan.
Second Clinton In Two Weeks Pushes Dems To Turn Out (10-22-2014)
Whitmer Warns About 'Personhood' Try In Lame Duck (10-14-2014)
Land Supports Immigration Path To 'Legal Residency,' Not Citizenship (10-13-2014)
Jones, Levey Spar On Abortion, Education During City Pulse Debate (10-10-2014)
Governor Defends Rhetorical Change To 'Liar' (10-03-2014)
Whitmer, Richardville Clash On Value Of Early Fall Session (10-03-2014)
Kahn Defends `Say Yes To The Candidate' Ad In Senate (10-02-2014)
Johnson Interested In Senate Democratic Leader Post (09-30-2014)
Dems: GOP War on Women Continues (09-29-2014)
Dems Hop All Over Snyder, Aramark Once More (09-25-2014)
Dems Propose Abortion Rider Requirement For Insurance Agencies (09-24-2014)
Richardville Has No Interest In Electoral College, Prevailing Wage Changes (09-19-2014)
Snyder Puts RPA Spin On Aramark Contract (09-16-2014)
Employers Must Release Reproductive Health Insurance Info Under Bill (09-09-2014)
Bits And Tidbits (09-03-2014)
Bath Township Assessor Admits Mistake In Baird Case (09-02-2014)
Senate Sees Warranties, Truck Weights As Transportation First Step (08-28-2014)
Whitmer: Gov Surrounded By 'Crooks' (08-28-2014)
Senate Road Work Group's First Meeting On Thursday (08-13-2014)
Senate Says Yes To Wolf Hunting Initiative (08-13-2014)
Schmidt, Oakes, Knezek, Knollenberg, MacGregor Big Winners In Senate (08-06-2014)
Senate Dem Candidates Raising Big Bucks Against R's In Key Districts (07-25-2014)
House D's Rake In Most For 2Q; Both GOP Caucuses Have $2M In Bank (07-25-2014)
Bits And Tidbits (07-23-2014)
Statewide HeadlinesDemocrats seek foothold in Saginaw County GOP senate district that now includes western Genesee County
Dems confirm President Obama will campaign for Gary Peters, Mark Schauer days before election
Michigan corrections officer union rallies at Saginaw prison in wake of attack on guard
3 key points from debate between 34th State Senate candidates Goeff Hansen and Cathy Forbes
Attorney General race: 5 things you didn't know about Bill Schuette