MIRS Biographical Profiles
- View Printable Version
Whitmer, Gretchen (D)State Senator District 23
Sen. Whitmer served one full term as a House Representative and a partial term as she left to take a seat in the Senate vacated by former Senator Virg Bernero. She is currently serving her second full term in the Senate. She has served on the East Lansing Transportation Committee, Ingham County Democratic Party Executive Board, prior to being elected to MI House of Representatives in 2000 and Senate Democratic Leader.
Sen. Whitmer was a practicing Attorney.
Sen. Whitmer holds a BA from Michigan State University and a JD from MSU Law School.
Sen. Whitmer was born on August 23, 1971 and lives with her husband Dr. Marc Mallory and their children.
Sen. Whitmer participates in the following activities: Legal Aid of Central Michigan, East Lansing Folk Festival, Junior League of Lansing, State Bar of MI, Ingham County Bar Assn.
LEAD STAFF PERSON:Nancy Bohnet
(Status: 02/26/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE ORDER OF SECOND READING)
- EDUCATION, Financing, Expand school district\'s permissible use of sinking funds to include school buses, technology, and security
(Status: 04/10/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON EDUCATION)
- LABOR, Fair Employment Practices, Establish commission on pay equity and specify duties
(Status: 04/10/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS)
- FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS, Savings Banks, A savings bank account shall not charge an account holder more than 1 overdraft fee in any 24-hour period. A savings bank shall publish on an Internet website available to the public the amount of its overdraft fees and the criteria it uses to determine the amount of its overdraft fees. If a savings bank receives more than 1 item to charge an account of a customer on the same banking day, the savings bank shall charge the smallest item to the account first and charge each additional item to the account in order by amount, from smallest to largest.
(Status: 05/21/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO BANKING AND FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS )
- FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS, Banks, A bank shall not charge an account holder more than 1 overdraft fee in any 24-hour period. A bank shall publish on an Internet website available to the public the amount of its overdraft fees and the criteria it uses to determine the amount of its overdraft fees. If a bank receives more than 1 item to charge to an account of a customer on the same banking day, the bank shall charge the smallest item to the account first and charge each additional item to the account in order by amount, from smallest to largest
(Status: 05/21/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON BANKING AND FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS )
- FAMILY LAW, Marriage and Divorce, Remove prohibition on same-sex marriage
(Status: 06/04/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS)
- INSURANCE, Health Benefits; , Repeal abortion coverage public act based on initiative petition.
(Status: 07/16/2014 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON INSURANCE)
- CONSUMER PROTECTION, Unfair Trade Practices, Clarify liability for inaccurate representations concerning risks of certain drugs, medications, and supplements.
(Status: 08/13/2014 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON REGULATORY REFORM)
- TRADE, Consumer Goods and Services, Prohibit manufacturing and acceptance for sale of personal care products containing plastic microbeads.
(Status: 09/09/2014 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS)
- LABOR, Fair Employment Practices, Create reproductive health coverage information act.
(Status: 09/10/2014 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON REFORMS, RESTRUCTURING & REINVENTING)
- Joint Resolution, Constitutional amendments revise permissible uses of state school aid fund.
(Status: 05/01/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON EDUCATION)
- Money Smart Week - April 20 - 27., Recognize the week of April 20 - 27, 2013 as Money Smart Week in the state of Michigan.
(Status: 04/17/2013 - SENATE - REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE ON NATURAL RESOURCES, ENVIRONMENT & GREAT LAKES)
- Resolutions, A resolution to proclaim May 19-25, 2013 as Emergency Medical Services Week in the state of Michigan
- Senate Resolution, A resolution to recognize March 31, 2014, as Cesar E. Chavez Day in the state of Michigan.
Employers Must Release Reproductive Health Insurance Info Under Bill (09-09-2014)
Bits And Tidbits (09-03-2014)
Bath Township Assessor Admits Mistake In Baird Case (09-02-2014)
Senate Sees Warranties, Truck Weights As Transportation First Step (08-28-2014)
Whitmer: Gov Surrounded By 'Crooks' (08-28-2014)
Senate Road Work Group's First Meeting On Thursday (08-13-2014)
Senate Says Yes To Wolf Hunting Initiative (08-13-2014)
Schmidt, Oakes, Knezek, Knollenberg, MacGregor Big Winners In Senate (08-06-2014)
Senate Dem Candidates Raising Big Bucks Against R's In Key Districts (07-25-2014)
House D's Rake In Most For 2Q; Both GOP Caucuses Have $2M In Bank (07-25-2014)
Bits And Tidbits (07-23-2014)
Schauer Would Add Equal Pay To Elliot Larsen (07-23-2014)
Democrats Say It's `Dangerous', R's Declare `Victory' In Hobby Lobby Decision (06-30-2014)
Whitmer Makes Slick Push For Money (06-27-2014)
Insiders Predict Cotter, Meekhof, Ananich Will Lead Caucuses In '15 (06-27-2014)
Snyder Hopes More Higher Ed Money Lessens Student Debt Issue (06-24-2014)
Dem Women Urge For Abortion Insurance Law Repeal (06-16-2014)
Indexed 19-Cent Gas Tax Plan Stalls For Summer (06-12-2014)
Road Vote Negotiations Taking Shape, Vote Possible Wednesday (06-10-2014)
Senate Dips Toe Into Road Solution (06-05-2014)
What Do Road Funding And Prevailing Wage Have In Common? (06-05-2014)
Senate Passes Revenge Porn Legislation (06-04-2014)
Roads Legislation Could Come Up Thursday (06-04-2014)
Hard Lines Drawn On Road Funding Debate (06-03-2014)
Press ReleasesStatement by Congressman Dan Kildee on ISIS VoteHeartland Institute Responds to Attempt to Purge Texas Text Books of Inconvenient Climate FactsHow Much is Legislative Inaction on Road Funding Costing Us?Michigan Should Lead the Way on Infrastructure Repairs, Addressing Climate ChangeDr. Benishek Welcomes Mid-Michigan Honor Flight In Washington, D.C.
Statewide HeadlinesStrategist agrees to apologize for robocall against Macomb politician accused of taking 'dirty pictures'
Sheriff Bouchard: Jails have become ‘dumping group’ for residents with mental illnesses
Techonomy highlights tech for places where progress is needed most in America, such as Detroit
State Senate hopeful Lorence Wenke says he plans to help build Libertarian Party
Dianda visits Iron County Medical Care Facility